Expert in urban disaster policy, resilience, risk reduction, and public policy consultation. Seventeen years in local government, specializing in natural hazards mitigation and community sustainability.
Arrietta Chakos is a public policy advisor on urban resilience. She works on local and national community resilience strategies and multi-sectoral engagement. Her work with San Francisco, Palo Alto, and regional institutions, such as the Association of Bay Area Governments, focuses on disaster readiness and community resilience. Current efforts include coordinating with the Rockefeller Foundation 100 Resilient Cities Initiative in the Bay Area as well as a regional resilience project with the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
She is a member of the Resilience Roundtable at the National Academy of Sciences. She is also a member of the National Research Council Advisory Committee to the U.S. Global Change Research Program and chairs the Housner Fellow committee at the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute. Ms. Chakos served as research director of the Harvard Kennedy School’s Acting in Time Advance Recovery Project. She was assistant city manager in Berkeley, California, directing innovative risk mitigation initiatives, intergovernmental coordination, and multi-institutional negotiations.
Specialties: Urban resilience strategies, public policy development, climate change adaptation, disaster risk assessment & loss estimates, mitigation and risk financing, strategic fiscal planning, multi-party negotiations, and municipal government operation
- Public policy consulting on urban resilience, disaster readiness and climate change adaptation
- Assessment and management of community and regional comprehensive risk
- Development of culturally-appropriate hazard mitigation and recovery solutions
- Negotiation among multi-party/institutional agencies
- Executive-level consultation in local government management and public finance
- Strategic planning and implementation in complex political and social environments
- Advising on management of fiscal challenges related to disaster mitigation and recovery efforts, including acquisition and oversight of capital funds
- Public speaking for events and media related to disaster preparedness and resilience